Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Winston Salem QUESTION: Commissions – Can I share my commission with my client?


 

I have always been willing to negotiate my commissions with my clients.  With the new NAR ruling, this is even more important.  Below are the rules, I am bound by. (Note, this applies to our Property Management business as well)

ANSWER: Yes. The Real Estate Commission takes the position that brokers may rebate or pay a portion of their brokerage fees to buyers and sellers who purchase or list real estate through the broker, because a real estate license is not required of persons who list for sale real estate which they own or who purchase real estate for their own account. Agents should: (1) have the consent of the principal(s) (for example, if you are acting as a seller’s (sub)agent or dual agent and want to share your commission with the buyer, then obtain the seller’s consent in writing); (2) disclose the payment to the lender; and (3) assure that the payment appears on the settlement statement (failure to disclose the payment on the settlement statement could constitute a “false statement to a lender,” which is a federal crime and also a violation of the License Law and North Carolina Real Estate Commission rules).


Contact me and I can answer all your questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment