Monday, March 20, 2023

Most people do not know why I entered the field of Real Estate - Winston Salem

 Most people do not know why I entered the field of Real Estate. I was asked a very valid question many times’ Why would you leave a good paying job for a 100% commission business as a Realtor?’


The answer is complicated (financially) and very simple(family) at the same time. I obtained my real estate license in 2000 taking classes at night. This was kind of a whim thing but something I had been thinking about, so I just did it.


My real job was a software consultant that took me to many places in the US and Canada and I met some great people. I was dabbling in real estate part time ( more on that later but being part time, I was not very good at it, admittedly).


Then things changed dramatically. I was on a job in Greenville SC. Thankfully not too far away when the planes hit the towers on 9.1.2001. My wife and daughter were upset and wanted me home. I sent an email within an hour resigning my position and drove home immediately.


I did take a short term contract with consulting while I was readying myself for this big change. Within 6 months, I was a full time Realtor. I was very lucky that my prior career required me to be very good at 2 things. I was constantly educating customers with a customer service focus and I had to be very prepared.


Being a full time Realtor requires that same focus and one that I embraced. 21 years later and succeeding during some very rough down markets, has enabled me to be good at what I do and very good at taking care of my clients.


In the end, I did not miss any more of life events and I was very happy with the decision. 




No comments:

Post a Comment